Job Description Summary
Would you like to help improve the lives of billions of people? Are you excited about contributing to the Future of Flight, Precision Health and Decarbonization? As a Software Engineer at GE Research, you’ll work on multi-disciplinary teams to deliver software that brings value to the real world. You will help identify customer needs, propose technical differentiators and develop modular, scalable software solutions that bring value to society. Connect your passion to purpose and help move, cure and power the future!
This is a hands-on software engineering position. You will work on fast-paced, multi-disciplinary teams to solve technical challenges. You will collaborate with scientists/engineers, GE business units, government agencies and end-customers to devise software that meets program requirements. You will be provided ample opportunity to learn on the job, shape your career and define new research areas.
- Problem-solving – be a vital team member on multi-disciplinary programs that take real-world problems and deliver solutions. Program scope can range from quick lab prototypes that validate concepts and reduce risk, all the way up to multi-year programs that deliver robust, efficient and scaled-up software systems directly to customers
- Coding – contribute to technology-differentiated software that may include simulations, scripting, statistics, machine learning, computer vision, text-mining, visualization, web interfaces, search, databases, etc. with platforms spanning embedded, desktop, controllers and cloud
- Quality — optimize quality/time/cost by making smart choices and technology tradeoffs, driven by requirements. Adopt best-practices in code documentation, refactoring, testing, modularity, reusability and scalability, based on program maturity and customer need
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related discipline OR Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related discipline with a minimum of 2 years of experience in software design and development OR Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of experience in software design and development
- Strong problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to take high-level customer needs, covert to software strategy and requirements, and execute to completion
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented design, software design patterns and principles
- Strong expertise in two or more programming languages e.g. Python, C++/.Net, Bash, R, Perl, Java, C++ , Play, Angular JS, OSGI, HTML5, C, C#
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters or Bachelors level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Because of the specific categories of data handled by GE Research and the structure of our work environment, we are unable to accommodate employment of persons while they are considered nationals of embargoed countries subject to restriction under the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR), 15 CFR Section 746 et seq. (currently North Korea, Syria, Iran, Cuba, and Sudan). Please note that citizens of embargoed countries who have either U.S. person” status under U.S. export control laws or subsequent citizenship from a non-embargoed country can be considered.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY
- Must be 18 years or older
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
- Domain Expertise – strong grasp of physical systems e.g. Advanced Manufacturing, Robotics, Internet-of-Things, Biomedical Devices, Aerospace, Automated Inspections, etc.
- System-thinking – experience architecting/building software systems with multiple components e.g. UI, algorithms, multi-modal data and visualization. Bonus: edge-devices to controller to cloud
- Resourcefulness – broad range of tools & skills that can be tapped to deliver effective solutions e.g. R, TensorFlow/Keras/PyTorch, NumPy, Matlab, Julia, cloud computing, databases, parallel programming, etc.
- Agile/Lean– experience developing and executing test plans in a CI/CD environment, including source code control, automated unit and regression testing
- Self-starter – passionate about identifying, defining and pursuing new ideas to make an impact
- Team Player — good collaborator and clear communicator. Plays an active role in the continuous improvement of the team through outreach, continuous-learning and peer teaching
- Recognition – widely recognized as an expert in the field e.g. a) contribution to public domain codebases and/or significant github portfolio b) peer-reviewed publications and invited presentations, c) winning and executing on peer-reviewed government contracts
- Leadership Behaviors – Act with Humility, Lead with Transparency, and Deliver with Focus … and always with unyielding integrity
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes