Mechanical Engineering Internship Position
NextStep Robotics Inc. (NSR), a Baltimore-based rehabilitation robotics startup is looking for a paid intern with a mechanical engineering background. NextStep Robotics has created a cutting-edge solution by developing a portable ankle robot (AMBLE) to alleviate and in some cases, treat foot drop, which is an inability to raise the foot during activities of daily life such as walking. Foot drop commonly affects older adults with stroke and other neurologic injuries. See www.nextsteprobo.com for further details on AMBLE.
• Master’s or a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering earned or in-progress.
• Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for each degree earned or in-progress.
• Strong mechanical and analytical abilities.
• Computer proficiency in SolidWorks modeling CAD software, Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
• Daily means of transportation to the office located on UMB campus.
• Must have the ability to lift 20 pounds.
• Prior hands-on experience in design, prototyping, assembly & testing of robotic devices is a plus.
• Previous assembly technician experience/manufacturing engineering experience.
Nature of Work: The internship will take place at NextStep Robotics located at 800 W Baltimore St, Baltimore, MD 21201. Your duty hours will be flexible on a per week basis capped at 40 hrs./week. This position is hands-on and in-person. As an engineering Intern at NSR, your responsibilities will include working with all personnel on duties assigned including but not limited to:
o Design and build test rig for go-to market verification of AMBLE devices.
o Conducting reverse engineering, where needed.
o Development of procedures (SOPs) for unit and integrated testing.
o Refinement of assembly/inventory SOPs.
o Assist in establishment of a robust, reliable inventory/manufacturing system with good workflow for assembly technicians.
o Assist with assembly of AMBLE units & peripherals.
o Assist with part inspections.
● Researching products and equipment of competitors.
● Participation in planning and development of current and future projects/products.
●Other tasks as assigned that have relevance to company function and performance. Contact: Interested and eligible candidates should contact Nick Rabuck, mechanical engineer lead at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of their resume, earliest start & end dates, and meeting availability for interview two weeks out.